A party may file an enforcement action to enforce a prior order of the Court if the other party is not in compliance with the terms and orders set out in the prior Court order. If the Court determines the other party is in contempt of Court for violating the Court's order(s), the Court may take serious action against the other party including but not limited to ordering the party be incarcerated in the county jail.

The most common enforcement actions seem to involve failure to pay child support, not allowing the noncustodial parent to visit the child pursuant to that parent's Court ordered visitation rights, and failure to abide by the division of property as set out in the final decree of divorce. The Court that rendered the original final decree of divorce or other order retains the power to enforce its orders, however, the Texas Family Code applies certain time limitations for bringing an enforcement action against the other party depending on the circumstances involved.

If you need legal representation in order to prosecute or defend an enforcement action, please contact the Law Office of Craig A. Patton to schedule an appointment.

West Texas Family Lawyer

At the Law Office of Craig A. Patton, our philosophy is to furnish our clients with the highest standard of legal services available, while keeping financial and emotional expenditures to a minimum. If you would like to schedule an initial consultation, please contact us.

The material contained on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as the dissemination of legal advice to anyone by the Law Office of Craig A. Patton. You should always seek the advice of an attorney, who can review and ascertain your legal needs and recommend a proper course of action regarding your situation.